The Blackthorn Past Students Association (BPSA) is an integral part of the College community. Initially formed as the Thornburgh Old Boys’ Association in 1924 and the Blackheath Old Girls’ Association in 1925, the groups combined in 1935 to form an inclusive and driving force, fostering an ongoing bond of fellowship between past students and further advancing the interests of the College, “my school and yours”.
The bond of fellowship is fostered using social media, newsletters and assisting with organising gatherings of past cohort years and coming together at regional locations culminating with an annual reunion at the College held over the second weekend each August.
Executive Committee Meetings
The BPSA Executive Committee, elected by the Association’s members, holds at least four meetings per year and more as required. In this way the business of the Association and the various reunions can be organised and promoted. In addition, we publish and distribute the bi-annual ‘Blackthorn News’ to provide news of our members.
At the 2019 AGM the following committee members were elected:
Mr David Cummins President
Mr Ian Ritchie Vice President
Miss Kristine Patterson Secretary
Mrs Jay Goodwin Treasurer
The committee is active in the lead up to BTC’s Centenary Years in 2019 and 2020.
Cohort/Class Year and Region Organisers – Events
The BPSA Committee maintains an up to date Members Register which records past student Cohort/Class years as well as the Region of residence. Past School Captains and past student event organisers actively maintain and use this information to bring together their Cohort/Class years and those pasts students in close regional proximity..
During 2019, the College’s first Centenary Year celebrations, many Cohort/Class Years will be celebrating an ‘anniversary year’ from as early as the 5th anniversary to as far back as the 60th anniversary, and even beyond.
BPSA Region gatherings are planned as follows:
- Port Moresby on 13/04/19 at Crown Hotel 6:30pm
- Atherton on 28/04/19 at Lake Tinnaroo
- Townsville on 1/05/19 Morning Tea at Carlyle Gardens
- Townsville on 3/05/19 Pub Night at Riverside Tavern
- Townsville on 4/05/19 Brunch at The Seaview Hotel, The Strand 11:30am – 2:00pm
- Toowoomba on 25 /05/19 Lunch at The Barn 1709 Flagstone Creek Road, Flagstone Creek 11:00am – 3:00pm – RSVP- firstname.lastname@example.org /BTC Jeno, M/S464, HELIDON PO,4344.
- Brisbane 25/08/19
- Sydney on 14/09/19 Afternoon Tea at The Grand Cafe, 257 Clarence Street Sydney, 1:15pm to 3:00pm
- Sunshine Coast on 7/9/19 Buderim Tavern
- Mackay on 28/04/19 at Shamrock Hotel
Past students who wish to contact these organisers should approach the BPSA Secretary for contact details or find us on our Facebook page.
BTC Centenary Events in 2019
The BPSA is involved in the following Centenary Events and invite past students to attend.
14-16 June Commemoration Weekend
16-18 August Annual Reunion Weekend
Keep in touch by viewing this page and the BPSA Facebook page as we list and update the events we have planned for 2019, including our Centenary Year Reunion in August.